Education Reform in New York
Our economy has made quality, affordable education more vital today than ever before, but our educational system hasn’t kept pace with our changing world. Our schools remain underfunded and all too racially segregated; meanwhile, hedge-fund billionaires are attempting to privatize and capitalize on our public education system. Students and families in face enormous challenges in their pursuit of quality education.
As your State Senator, I will continue to fight for:
- Free tuition for all at CUNY and SUNY, including covering the living expenses of students whose families can’t afford to support them
- More teachers in our public schools, and in turn, smaller class sizes so that every student has the support they need to succeed
- Reforming Foundation Aid distribution to ensure that working-class, majority-minority school districts like ours get the millions in funding to which we’re legally entitled
- Expanding social services such as counseling in schools to support our children and end the school-to-prison pipeline
- The removal of NYPD police officers from our schools
- Maintaining the charter cap, making sure our school system remains publicly governed and controlled by all of us.